Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Finding Favorites

     The first step of joining the EDM/rave culture is to identify which sub genre's of EDM you prefer. This is especially important in EDM. There are approximately 12 sub-genre's of EDM and those have 6-12 sub genre's of their own. Though many songs and mixes fall into multiple sub genres and the "sub-sub-genre's" in many cases are difficult to distinguish from each other. There are distinct pillars though in the EDM genre in which. Below are my three favorite sub genre's that also serve a great inductions into the EDM music scene.

1. House 

     House is one of the most popular genre's in EDM. House Music was born in the backyard of the midwest in chicago. Heavy use of 4/4 beats and drum machines. House, in the simplest terms, is dance music. It has a lot of disco and pop influences and the samples used in house music draw from any generation of music; from old school big band swing music, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Paula Abdul, etc. I always recommend House to newcomers asking about EDM, it has a wide variety and is probably the best representation for EDM.

Recommended DJ's

Avicii
Daft Punk
Kaskade
David Guetta
Dimitri & Vegas

Examples of House

2. Dubstep

     Dubstep is not one of my favorite sub genre's I actually do not like majority of the genre's music. It is however, an excellent genre for those new to EDM and there are admittedly quite a few musical gems in the genre. It incorporates a lot of other genre's into its style; break beats, and drum & bass styles. I joke about it being the "gateway genre" because a lot of my friends into the EDM scene started by listening to Dubstep.

Recommended Dj's

Skrillex
Adventure Club
Flux Pavilion
Zeds Dead
BassNectar

Examples of Dubstep

3. Trap

     Trap is my favorite form of EDM, it is not a genre for the faint of heart. The drum and bass kits are very heavy, and the vocals in the songs are often aggressive. . It originated as a form of southern hip hop that was extremely violent. As EDM Dj's moved into the genre it's focus shifted. It still incorporates many hip hop influences. If you like it loud and in your face this genre is definitely the one for you.

Recommended Dj's

RL Grime
Baauer
Hucci 
Stooki
Mr Carmack

Examples of Trap


4 comments:

  1. Being a beginner in listening to EDM, I've heard of Trap, and Dubstep music back in high school. I had no idea there were so many different sub-genres though. But i guess like any other genre there is always some differences in music, I'll definitely check out a few of the DJ's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to be a fan of all 3 of these sub genres. I do have a special tie to House because of my love for Motown. Daft Punk and Skrillex are my favorites out the ones you listed. Awesome mixes by the way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dubstep and Trap are my favorites, I have seen Bassnectar and Skrillex in concert! Such a good show and good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Trap when I go to raves but many of the sub genre's are great to listen to when relaxing or working.

    ReplyDelete