Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Dance Like No One Is Watching!

     So you found some music you like, you've been listening to EDM for a sort time, seen some footage from shows and festivals and you think you are ready to hit the scene and go to your first show. Slow down eager beaver! A common misconception is that EDM and raves are a package deal. In many ways they are but the two are not completely co-dependent. There are still some pieces of informations and features of the culture you want to be familiar with before you dive in to your first show.

      Dancing, activity of choice for fans of EDM and also a necessity for ravers. "But what if I am a bad dancer?" Let me say now, no one cares. Literally no one, no matter how off beat awkward, or physically incapable you seem out there on the dance floor.  EDM has a very liberal culture to it, everything is generally accepted. So when we dance in this culture, we leave it all out on the dance floor. Admittedly dancing was not my favorite activity when I first started with EDM, but it grew on me. Before you go to your first show it is greatly advised that you check out the music they will be playing and experiment dancing to it. Just let the music guide your movement and pretty soon you will start to feel comfortable and confident dancing in public. 

      If you have a severe rhythmic disability use the video below, and others like it on youtube to inspire your moves:



3 comments:

  1. I dance like no one is watching only if I know for sure no one is watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is way to short to not act like a complete weirdo. Dancing is so much fun and one of the best ways to lose some stress. I'd say I don't make a fool of myself when it comes to dancing in public, but I'd be lying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the post! HAHA I am so awkward while dancing especially at EDM shows but yes it is important to not care what anyone else thinks.

    ReplyDelete